Throughout the year, we offer opportunities to explore the coastal mountains landscape with natural historians and others, and to discuss and learn about conservation issues important to our region. For updates on events listed below, please also check local newspapers and villagesoup.com. All our events are open to the public and, unless otherwise noted, free of charge. For those events indicating group size limitations, advance registration is necessary. To register for such events, or for further information on any event, please contact us.
* Indicates a child-friendly event. Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
2014 Events Calendar
The 2014 Events Calendar is currently a work in progress. For additional outings and events, please continue to revisit this page, check our Facebook page, and/or watch for the Events Calendar in our Spring 2014 Newsletter.
- Monthly Natural History Walks, co-sponsored by the Camden Conservation Commission
- 2014 Beech Nut Open House Calendar
- The Birds of Beech Hill, presentation by local photographer Brian Willson at the Camden Public Library, Tuesday, February 11, 7:00 - 8:30 PM. Co-sponsored by Mid-Coast Audubon.
photo by Brian Willson
- Main Stream Preserve Exploration, Saturday, February 15, 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM. Join the winter excursion as a part of the Great Maine Outdoor Weekend. Call ahead for directions. Co-sponsored by the Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition.
- Pruning Workshop, Stover Preserve, Saturday, March 15, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Licensed arborist Jacob DiGirolamo will demonstrate how to prune apple trees in this hands-on demonstration.
- Signs of Spring, presentation by Rebecca Jacobs at the Camden Public Library, Tuesday, March 18, 7:00 -8:30 PM. Co-sponsored by the Knox-Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation District.
- Survival skills workshop, Meadow Brook Preserve, Saturday, April 12, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Maine Master Naturalist Jason Chandler teaches participants useful tips. Co-sponsored by the Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition.
- Astronomy on Beech Hill*, Beech Hill Preserve, Wednesday, April 16, 6:30 - 8:00 PM. Children's librarian Miss Amy will share an evening of stories and stars. Co-sponsored by the Camden Public Library.
- Wildflower Walk, Ragged Mountain Preserve, Thursday, May 15, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Botanist Wanda Garland leads the quest for the season's early wildflowers.
- Spring Bird Walk, Ducktrap River Preserve, Wednesday, May 21, 6:30 - 9:30 AM. Staff member Kristen Lindquist and Cloe Chunn of the Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition guide this annual bird outing along the Ducktrap River and into the forested uplands. Co-sponsored by the Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition.
- Summer Solstice Walk*, Beech Hill Preserve, Friday, June 20, 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Celebrate the longest day of the year! Bring a sunset picnic, blanket and flashlight.
- Beech Nut Birthday Party*, Beech Hill Preserve, Friday, June 27, 4:00 - 6:00 PM. Join us at the stone hut for birthday treats as we celebrate the historic building's 100th birthday.
- Fern Walk, Ragged Mountain Preserve, Thursday, July 10, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Hildy Ellis leads this walk to identify different fern species. Co-sponsored by the Knox-Lincoln Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Insect Safari*, Head of Tide Preserve, Thursday, July 24, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Entomologist Kathy Murray leads a hands-on exploration of forest and fields in search of critters.
- Beech Hill Blueberry Picks*, Beech Hill Preserve
Members Only Free Pick, Saturday, August 2, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Current members are invited to pick our organic blueberries. Not a member? Make a donation at the registration table to join the fun!
Public Free Pick, Sunday, August 3, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. All are invited to pick blueberries at this annual event.
- Pollinator Walk, Beech Hill Preserve, Tuesday, August 12, 10:00 - 11:30 AM. Master gardener and beekeeper Amy Campbell will lead this walk up Beech Hill to discuss native pollinators and their importance to our blueberry fields and beyond.
- Annual Meeting, Belfast Boathouse, Thursday, August 28, 5:00 - 7:00 PM. All members are encouraged to join our Board and staff to celebrate the year's successes.
- Kites and Ice cream on Beech Hill*, Beech Hill Preserve, Saturday, September 13, 1:00 - 4:00 PM. Our second annual kites and ice cream extravaganza!
- Mushroom Walk and Talk, Friday, October 3, 7:00 - 8:30 PM, Land Trust office and Saturday, October 4, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, Fernald's Neck Preserve. Kirk Gentalen will lead a Friday evening slideshow and a Saturday morning hunt for mushrooms. Join one or both portions of this two-part event.
- Contours Benefit Art Show and Auction, Friday, November 7 - Sunday, November 23. Carver Hill Gallery, Rockland. This benefit art show featuring works by various artists inspired by Beech Hill will kick off during November's First Friday Art Walk and conclude with an exclusive brunch/auction of select items from the show. Net proceeds will benefit the Land Trust.
Interested in learning about birds, trees, flowers, insects, animal tracks and other areas of natural history? Coastal Mountains Land Trust will co-host monthly natural history walks with the Camden Conservation Commission.
Walks take place on the first Saturday or Sunday of each month. Registration is not necessary - simply show up and see what you can learn!
Monthly naturalist walk: Saturday, 1 March, 12:00 - 2:00 PM, Howe Point & the Murray-Webster Preserve (Ducktrip Harbor). Participants will meet at the end of Howe Point Rd., a right off Route 1 one mile north of Lincolnville Beach, just before the bridge over the Ducktrap River.
Beech Hill Preserve, Rockport
Beech Nut, the historic, sod-roofed stone hut atop Beech Hill on our Beech Hill Preserve, is open to the public two days/month from May through October each year. During these open houses, a volunteer docent is on hand to answer questions about the history of the building and the preserve, and field guides and other informational materials are available for visitors. Restored in 2007, this special building is well worth a visit by young and old alike--the views alone make the walk up the hill worthwhile!
Tentative 2014 dates only. These are subject to change before May!
- Saturday, May 24, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, June 11, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, June 28, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 2, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, July 19, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, August 2, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Members' Blueberry Pick
- Sunday, August 3, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Public Blueberry Pick
- Wednesday, August 23, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, September 13, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Kites & Ice Cream Event
- Wednesday, September 24, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 8, 6:00 - 8:00 PM: Full Harvest Moon
- Saturday, October 25, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM