Throughout the year, we offer opportunities to explore the coastal mountains landscape with natural historians and others, and to discuss and learn about conservation issues important to our region. For updates on events listed below, please also check local newspapers and villagesoup.com. All our events are open to the public and, unless otherwise noted, free of charge. For those events indicating group size limitations, advance registration is necessary. To register for such events, or for further information on any event, please contact us.
* Indicates a child-friendly event. Please note that children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
2013 Events Calendar
- Head of Tide Trail Exploration, Tuesday, November 12, 12:00 - 2:00 PM. Co-sponsored by Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition. Explore the new loop trail on our Head of Tide Preserve.
- Artfull Gifts Fine Arts & Crafts Show, Point Lookout, Northport, November 22 - 24. A portion of the admission proceeds will benefit the Land Trust. More info below.
Monthly Naturalist Walks
Interested in learning about birds, trees, flowers, insects, animal tracks and other areas of natural history? Coastal Mountains Land Trust will co-host monthly natural history walks with the Camden Conservation Commission.
Walks take place from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM on the first Saturday of each month. Registration is not necessary - simply show up and see what you can learn!
- Monthly naturalist walk - December 2013, Camden Snow Bowl, Saturday, December 7, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Participants meet in the Snow Bowl parking lot.
2014 Events Calendar
We are currently working on the Events Calendar for next year. For future outings and events, please revisit this page in early 2014, check our Facebook page, and/or watch for the Events Calendar in our Spring 2014 Newsletter.
Earlier 2013 Events
- Explore Meadow Brook Preserve as part of the Great Maine Outdoor Weekend, Saturday, February 16, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
- Spring Emergence Naturalist's Talk by Rebecca Jacobs of the Knox-Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation District, at the Land Trust office in Camden, Wednesday, March 27 , 6:30 - 8:00 PM. Co-sponsored by the Knox-Lincoln Soil & Water Conservation District.
- Main Stream Preserve Outing, Thursday, March 14, 9:30 AM -1:30 PM.
- Stories and Stars with children's librarian Miss Amy and telescopes, at Beech Hill Preserve, Saturday, April 20, 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Co-sponsored by Camden Public Library. *
- Spring Bird Walk, Beech Hill Preserve, Tuesday, May 7, 7:00 - 10:00 AM. Co-led and co-sponsored by Midcoast Audubon.
- Spring Bird Walk, Ducktrap River Preserve, Wednesday, May 15, 6:30 - 9:30 AM. Co-sponsored by Belfast Bay Watershed Coalition.
- Wildflower Walk with Wanda Garland, Ragged Mountain Preserve, Thursday, May 16, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
- Summer Solstice Celebration, Beech Hill Preserve, Friday, June 21, 6:30 -8:30 PM. *
- Ragged Mountain Run Around, 4- and 9-mile trail runs to benefit the Land Trust and the Ragged Mountain Recreation Area, Sunday, June 23.
- Insect Safari with entomologist Kathy Murray, Head of Tide Preserve, Friday, July 16, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. *
- Members Only Blueberry Free Pick, Beech Hill Preserve, Saturday, August 3, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM. *
- Public Blueberry Free Pick, Beech Hill Preserve, Sunday, August 4, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM. *
- Annual Meeting of the Membership, Belfast Boathouse, Thursday, August 22, 5:00 - 7:30 PM.
- Fairy House Building Workshop with Liza Walsh, Fernalds Neck Preserve, Saturday, September 7, 10:00 - 11:00 AM. *
- Kites on Beech Hill, Beech Hill Preserve, Saturday, September 14 (rain date: September 15), 1:00 - 4:00 PM.*
This event is free and open to the public, but registration is necessary. Please call the Land Trust office at (207) 236-7091 to register. Each child will be given a free kite to take home, and a free ice cream, provided on site by Stone Fox Farm Creamery. "Fly Safe" areas will be designated towards the top of Beech Hill, and Beech Nut will be open. This event is sponsored by the Cascade Foundation.
- Great Maine Outdoor Weekend Events
- Astronomy on Beech Hill, Beech Hill Preserve, Friday, September 27, 6:00 - 8:00 PM. Children's librarian Amy Hand returns to Beech Hill to share stories and the night sky.
- Long Cove Headwaters Trail Opening, Long Cove Headwaters Preserve, Searsport, Saturday, September 28, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM.
- Place Settings - Restaurant Benefit Week, Monday, October 14 - Friday, October 18
- Salmon Ecology Walk with Peter Ruksznis of the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources, Ducktrap River Preserve, Wednesday, October 23, 2:00 - 3:30 PM.
Beech Hill Preserve, Rockport
Beech Nut, the historic, sod-roofed stone hut atop Beech Hill on our Beech Hill Preserve, is open to the public two days/month from May through October each year. During these open houses, a volunteer docent is on hand to answer questions about the history of the building and the preserve, and field guides and other informational materials are available for visitors. Restored in 2007, this special building is well worth a visit by young and old alike--the views alone make the walk up the hill worthwhile!
- Wednesday, May 8, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, May 25, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, June 5, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Friday, June 21, 6:30-8:30 PM: Summer Solstice Celebration
- Wednesday, July 3, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, July 20, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, August 3, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Members' Blueberry Pick
- Sunday, August 4, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Public Blueberry Pick
- Wednesday, August 21, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, September 7, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, September 18, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, October 5, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Wednesday, October 16, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Saturday, October 26, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Monday, October 14 - Friday, October 18
Each weeknight during this special week, a different restaurant will support the Land Trust with half of that night's proceeds:
- Monday, October 14 3Crow, Rockland
- Tuesday, October 15 Natalie's at Camden Harbour Inn, Camden
- Wednesday, October 16, Saltwater Farm Cafe & Market, Rockport
- Thursday, October 17, La Bella Vita at Samoset Resort, Rockport
- Friday, October 18, Fromviandoux, Camden
Support local land conservation by indulging in some of the area's finest dining!